- SENIOR TECHNICAL CONSULTANT - 1 Position
SENIOR LEGAL COUNSEL, LEGAL & COMPLIANCE - 1 Position
1. SENIOR TECHNICAL CONSULTANT
The job holder will be responsible to oversee and project manage the infrastructure rectification works and hand-over of infrastructure projects under the BEDB’s portfolio. The job holder will also be responsible in all aspects of the said projects, including contract management, tender, site inspections and reporting to management and/or relevant authorities.
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Manages and oversees the day to day operational activities of the projects until completion.
- Provide technical guidance to resolve various project issues.
- Manage the implementation of the identified rectification works including the tracking, expediting and completion of the project cycles.
- Interface with appropriate management levels including management and relevant authorities to obtain necessary approvals and manage risk in accordance with governance.
- Act as lead to liaise with consultant, contractors, sub-contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed.
- Recommend proactive solutions to improve project execution.
- Able to conduct analysis and cost assessment for rectification of residential and industrial structures and infrastructure.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- A BSc in Civil or Structural Engineering (or higher in similar field or equivalent) with at least 8 – 10 years’ relevant experience.
- Experience in geotechnical, structural integrity, drainage, oil & gas industry or construction sector of major development will be an advantage.
- Registered with a recognised professional association.
Strong track record of successfully completed projects in construction industry.
- Strong knowledge of safety, environmental, building codes, planning regulations.
- Demonstrate strong organisational, interpersonal, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent business and technical writing.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proficient in Microsoft suite and AUTOCAD.
- This is a fixed-term twenty-four (24) months contract, subject to renewal.
- May be required to work beyond office hours or during weekends.
- A comprehensive and attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate depending on qualification, age and experience.
- Priority will be given to Brunei Citizens and Permanent Residents.
Successful candidate will be required to primarily:
- Lead the provision of legal advice, drafting and/or negotiations in complex projects and infrastructure delivery transactions associated with the main core function of the Brunei Economic Development Board (“BEDB”).
- Be generally aware of the BEDB related activities that may give rise to material operational legal risk issues associated with activities carried out by the BEDB with a view of mitigating or eliminating operational risks.
Successful candidate will be expected to:
- Legal advice, drafting and/or negotiations complex projects and infrastructure delivery related transactions associated with the BEDB’s core function of facilitating and implementation of foreign direct investments and, where instructed, projects and infrastructure delivery related transactions relating to the government and associated entities.
- Legal advice to management and BEDB division personnel on achieving operational outcomes for the organisation and on matters where the legal issues may not have entirely clear precedents that would enable the conferral of advice in a straight forward manner.
- Manage and assess other legal personnel in performing their job criteria outcomes and training legal personnel.
3. Requesting for, managing and maintaining external counsel as and when necessary.
4. Proactively assess and advise potential material legal risks to activities undertaken by the BEDB as and when it is required or becomes aware of such risks.
5. Ensuring compliance with all BEDB’s policies and procedures and in line with Brunei’s legislation and regulations.
6. Liaise with relevant internal departments to identify operational issues where legal advice is required.
7. Support our internal investigations team as needed.
8. Assist in developing legal relationships with third parties in Brunei and internationally to give effect to activities undertaken by the BEDB where possible.
9. Effective management of legal budgeting.
10. Maintain and manage relationships with third parties including external counsel, vendors, and other organizational partners (directly and indirectly).
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) from a university located in a common law jurisdiction.
- Strong projects and infrastructure knowledge, particularly in projects delivery and non-contentious construction.
- A good 6-8 years of relevant working experience in advising, drafting and negotiating on projects and infrastructure related transactions. Candidates should submit with their CVs, a transaction sheet providing particulars of relevant transactions they have materially advised, drafted and/or negotiated on (to the extent they are permitted under confidentiality obligations).
PREFERENCE FOR CANDIDATES
Preference is given to candidates with:
- Admissions as a solicitor in a common law jurisdiction (particularly in England and Wales, any of the Australian States or Territories, Malaysia, Singapore and/or Brunei), however candidates with an admission as a barrister in England and Wales is also an advantage.
- Exposure to chemicals, energy, oil and gas, transport and/or social projects and infrastructure transactions experience.
- Corporate governance, project financing and/or contentious construction capability provided that candidates meet B1 requirements above; and
- Master of Laws (LL.M) where subject matter is relevant to primary BEDB activities.
Please complete the Application for Employment Form together with your full resume, a recent passport-sized photograph and copies of relevant supporting documentation on or before 5.00pm on 30 April 2018 to the following address:
Head of Human Resource & Administration
The Brunei Economic Development Board
Block 2D, Bangunan Kerajaan, Jalan Kumbang Pasang
Bandar Seri Begawan BA1311