Senior Manager, Legal1 position
A. Job Purpose
The jobholder is expected to be involved in the provision of legal services in the following practice areas (“Practice Areas”):
(a) Projects and infrastructure with a focus on:
- Engineering, construction, operations and maintenance;
- Financing (including corporate and project financing); and
- Alternative procurement models including PPP and PFI project delivery models
(b) Energy and resources with a focus on feedstock and offtake transactions; and
(c) General business and corporate transactions.
Legal services rendered by the jobholder will deal with complex transactional issues (including cross-jurisdictional issues) where legal precedents may not be entirely clear, in a state of reformulation, and/or may need significant legal analysis in conjunction with commercial and technical transactional information.
The jobholder will report to the Head of Legal, however may also be requested to provide support in terms of providing responsive technical legal guidance, advice, and expertise to senior management of BEDB on any legal related issues posed by the BEDB.
B. Key Result Areas
1. Drafting and negotiating complex project documents to achieve robust technical, commercial, and/or policy outcomes in respect of any of the Practice Areas required.
2. Respond to complex requests for legal advice both in verbal and written form.
3. Interpret complex legal issues and offer advice in such a way as to offer a solution or solutions to the particular problems or issues primarily in respect of the Practice Areas.
4. Interpret and advise on new laws and regulations.
5. Liaise with relevant internal divisions or units to identify issues where legal advice is required.
6. Work with relevant internal divisions or units to raise awareness of the need to ask for and receive legal advice.
7. Apply legal policy and procedures in providing professional legal guidance and support to colleagues and internal customers.
8. Provide input into more general legal policies in a particular specialist area.
9. Work with other employees to improve own professional capability and knowledge.
10. Assist in the development of junior employees through the provision of coaching and contributing to development planning.
11. Work with other employees to improve own operational capability and knowledge.
12. Involved in a wide range of activities in more complex, or a collection of less complex, legal issues.
13. May hold responsibilities of any or higher-level positions from time to time.
C. Qualification and Experience
The jobholder should minimally possess the following:
- Bachelor of Laws, or Juris Doctor in Law from a recognized university located in a common law country with a 2:2 equivalent grade or higher;
- Admitted as a solicitor, barrister or otherwise as a lawyer within a common law jurisdiction;
- No less than 8 years’ sound relevant knowledge and experience in advising, negotiating and drafting of legal documents;
- Independent and motivated personality with ability to regularly work beyond regular working hours (including weekends);
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and presentation skills; and
- Demonstrate strong leadership and decision making skills.
D. Preferred Candidate:
Candidates with any or all of the following are preferred:
1. Experience in cross border transactions;
2. Admission to a commonwealth common law jurisdiction;
3. At least 5 years’ experience in any of the following areas of law:
- Project and infrastructure (non-contentous);
- Energy and resources; and
- Business and company transactions;
4. At least 3 years’ experience dealing with contentious construction transactions
A comprehensive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate depending on qualification and experience. Only Brunei Citizens and Permanent Residents of Brunei Darussalam need apply.
Please complete the ‘Application for Employment Form’ together with your full resume, a recent passport-sized photograph and copies of relevant supporting documentation, and submit the application to the following address:
Human Resources & Administration Unit
The Brunei Economic Development Board
Level 4, Ministry of Finance & Economy
Bandar Seri Begawan BB3910
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.